On November 13, 1888 this congregation with 22 members was officially organized. The Church was to be know as the Evangelical Lutheran Church, Unaltered Augsburg Confession of the Missouri Synod.
This group immediately began building a church home and dedicated it the the glory of God on the first Sunday of December 1888.
The Rev. H.J. Fuhrman, of St. Martin at Clintonville served as the first pastor to Zion. He came to Embarrass every other Sunday. He served the congregation from 1888 until 1892. Then for a short time Pastor Kraft was in charge, however did not stay long and Rev. Fuhrman again took care of the parish until 1903.
In 1903 Zion and St. Peter at Pella Opening together called a pastor to serve the two congregations. That spring the Rev. G. Schilling of Metawka, Kansas was installed. He served the congregation until 1924.
In April of 1925 the Rev. Walter List was called and was installed as pastor of the dual parish of Zion and St. Peter. When Pastor List arrived, the two congregations purchased the house, which is now the present parsonage. Until the coming of Pastor List all services were in German. Pastor List began holding some services in English and as time went on English services were more and more frequent.
Rev. List retired in July 1956 having served Zion for thirty-one years.
Other Pastors to serve the congregations were:
Rev. Edgar Barg (1956-1968)
Rev. Edwin Schlade (1969-1970)
In April of 1970 the decision was made to build a new church. Despite the sudden death of Pastor Schlade building plans went forward.
The ground breaking ceremony for the new church took place on May 2, 1971. Construction continued through 1972.
In August of 1971 Rev. Robert Hintz was installed as the new Pastor.
The last service in the old church was held on February 27, 1972. After celebration of Holy Communion the congregation proceeded to the new church where service was concluded.
God has sent us faithful pastors to teach His Gospel and administer the sacraments.
Pastor Hintz served Zion until 1978. Rev. Charles Kolk served from 1978-1984. Rev. Robert Selle served from 1984-1990. Rev. Thomas Clocker served 1991-1993. Rev. Russell Grabau was installed in 1993 and served until 1999.
A call was made in 1999 for a new Pastor. The Lord blessed Zion and St. Peter congregations with Pastor Todd Jerabek accepting this call. He was installed on January 23, 2000 and with his wife, Pauline and two sons Nathan and Timothy, joined our church and community.
Pastor Jerabek continues to serve our congregations.
Zion has enjoyed a bountiful life in Christ for over 100 years. We joyously look forward to what our future holds, for we are indeed blessed to move forward for a future that God already knows. We walk in His grace accomplishing all He has prepred for us to do beforehand, that we should as individuals and as a congregation, walk in them.